httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Advanced Mass Hosting Module
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:42:37 GMT
Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:

> What I have in mind is a module that fits in with our current LDAP
> based infrastructure. Currently, LDAP services our mail users, and I
> would like to see the Apache mass hosting configuration held in LDAP as
> well. In this way, we can just scale by adding more apache servers,
> mounting the shared docroot and pointing them to the LDAP server.

I had this on the cards quite a while ago, but have not got around to
actually finishing it off.

The idea was a separate tool which would generate flat apache config
files based on LDAP queries. The reason for the flat files was so the
server could still restart and work even if the LDAP server was down.
"Kicking" a server could be as simple as accessing a special URL, which
recreates the flat config files and gracefully restarts the server.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street