httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Advanced Mass Hosting Module
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:45:00 GMT
Tony Finch wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 11:14:44AM -0500, Nomentsoa-Tahiry Ramanampanoharana wrote:
>
>>Instead of writing a new module from the scratch. I don't
>>know if it's a good idea to look at mod_rewrite RewriteMap
>>internal function first.
>

> I recommend against using mod_rewrite wherever possible. Yes it is
> essential in some situations, but frequently you will be better off with
> mod_alias and therefore much less hair. Everything that mod_vhost_alias
> does can be done with mod_rewrite, but enabling mod_rewrite and therefore
> letting customers use it is a scary prospect. With great power comes
> great responsibility, and users are far too frequently irresponsible.
>
> Tony.

I was looking at the code, and I think we could acheive alot if we replaced the calls
to the vhost-parsing code on
http://lxr.webperf.org/source.cgi/server/protocol.c#L980 &
http://lxr.webperf.org/source.cgi/server/connection.c#L203

with 2 hooks. this would give the added benefit of moving the name-based virtual hosting
into modules/http where it belongs.

we would still have a problem creating the server configs on the fly, but that is a smaller
problem
which the module writer could attempt.