httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cgid on hp-ux - read hangs because shutdown doesn't close
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 22:50:22 GMT
Gary Feldman wrote:

> I'm running into a problem with some code based on the
> mod_cgid module, on hp-ux.  I've also submitted
> the underlying problem to comp.systems.hp.hpux.
>
> The problem is that the underlying cgi hangs on a read
> from stdin when there is actually no data left to be read.

uhhh, unfortunately I can recreate this behavior :(

 >On HP-UX, this
 >doesn't happen until the socket is actually closed.

We can't close the socket.  Otherwise, how would we read the output of
the CGI back in the child process [thread] that sends the CGI output
back to the client?

A non-Apache testcase with very simple use of the sockets seems to
indicate that HP-UX doesn't support this idiom.  (Just what you said, I
think :) ).

So use mod_cgi :)

(If there isn't a compelling performance difference, that makes sense
from Apache's perspective because mod_cgid is unfortunately complicated
and it isn't worth more tricks if there's no sense in using it in the
first place.)