httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <>
Subject Re: coredumps on Linux
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:05:36 GMT
Thom May wrote:

>>One solution might be to control it with CoreDumpDirectory.  If that's in
>>the config file, one would assume the admin wants coredumps on failures.
> Once more, I have to agree - I only have CoreDumpDirectory enabled when I'm
> actually chasing down problems - I never enable it for production servers.
> However, we should document very clearly and obviously that setting
> CoreDumpDirectory will now produce cores even as root; it's entirely
> possible that some admins don't remove the directive because they *know*
> that we don't produce cores when running as root.

>>I'm also curious about how admins with Linux production sites are dealing
>>with seg faults etc. today if they are not getting coredumps.
> generally i run apache as a different user on a different port but with the
> exact config I want for >48 hours before taking it live, that usually sorts
> out any problems one way or another - if I do start seeing segfaults as
> root then the only usual recourse is firing up gdb and running in single
> process mode.

>                This patch would be very useful in that respect.
> +1 from me to have CoreDumpDirectory be able to enable core dumps from root
> owned processes.
> Cheers,
> -Thom

Thanks much for the feedback, Thom.  It's reassuring to hear from someone who is
running a production site on Linux.  I hate wasting time when debugging problems
because we don't have first failure data capture, so I hope this will help.

I also heard from Ian H.  He mentioned that iptables can forward port 80 to a
high listening port so you can run as non-root.  Interesting!

View raw message