httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: Re: Advanced Mass Hosting Module
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:04:37 GMT
On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 11:14:44AM -0500, Nomentsoa-Tahiry Ramanampanoharana wrote:

> Instead of writing a new module from the scratch. I don't
> know if it's a good idea to look at mod_rewrite RewriteMap
> internal function first.

I recommend against using mod_rewrite wherever possible. Yes it is
essential in some situations, but frequently you will be better off with
mod_alias and therefore much less hair. Everything that mod_vhost_alias
does can be done with mod_rewrite, but enabling mod_rewrite and therefore
letting customers use it is a scary prospect. With great power comes
great responsibility, and users are far too frequently irresponsible.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
LOUGH FOYLE TO CARLINGFORD LOUGH: SOUTHEAST 5 OR 6, DECREASING 4 OR 5. FAIR.