httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Thom May <t...@planetarytramp.net>
Subject Re: coredumps on Linux
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 23:51:22 GMT
* Greg Ames (gregames@apache.org) wrote :
> I mentioned this to other Apache folks around here and got some interesting
> reactions:
>
> * If we don't control this with a directive, we might violate the rule of
> least astonishment.  For example, admins might be living with some buggy
> modules, and all of a sudden their disks fill up with unwanted coredump
> files.  (Of course ServerRoot or CoreDumpDirectory would have to be
> writable by the httpd User for that to happen.)

agreed; that really wouldn't be too pleasant!

> * If we do control this with a new directive and we don't make it very
> clear that this is just a Linux 2.4+ thing, users might think that turning
> on the new directive will magically solve all lack-of-coredump issues.  It
> won't...there are Linux kernels < 2.4, ulimit -c, permission issues, and
> the CoreDumpDirectory directive to name a few things, not to mention
> sysadmin stuff you have to do on FreeBSD and Solaris.
>
> One solution might be to control it with CoreDumpDirectory.  If that's in
> the config file, one would assume the admin wants coredumps on failures.

Once more, I have to agree - I only have CoreDumpDirectory enabled when I'm
actually chasing down problems - I never enable it for production servers.
However, we should document very clearly and obviously that setting
CoreDumpDirectory will now produce cores even as root; it's entirely
possible that some admins don't remove the directive because they *know*
that we don't produce cores when running as root.

> I'm also curious about how admins with Linux production sites are dealing
> with seg faults etc. today if they are not getting coredumps.

generally i run apache as a different user on a different port but with the
exact config I want for >48 hours before taking it live, that usually sorts
out any problems one way or another - if I do start seeing segfaults as
root then the only usual recourse is firing up gdb and running in single
process mode. This patch would be very useful in that respect.
+1 from me to have CoreDumpDirectory be able to enable core dumps from root
owned processes.
Cheers,
-Thom