httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ian Holsman" <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 06:04:59 GMT
On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:42:49 -0800, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> As for the Apache2+PHP stuff, we are not deflecting blame.  We are simply
> not acknowledging that it is somehow our duty to drop everything and
> support Apache2 just because someone decided it was a good idea to release
> a new web server.  And when attacked repeatedly on this issue we tend to
> point out that thread safety issues in commonly used libraries pretty much
> nullify any threading gains of the new architecture since we'd have to
> mutex them, and also the fact that the filter api's complexity isn't
> making life easy for us, nor does the architecture mesh well with how PHP
> likes to do things.  As a handler under prefork it may work very well. Who
> knows.  Feel free to apply for a CVS account and write it, but please stop
> trying to browbeat us into doing something.  I personally have a working
> web server that does what I need.  Show me something irresistible about
> this new server and I will be compelled to work on it myself.

ok.
you know have 2 implementations of the handler based php sapi for use with
apache2, instead of using the Filter API.

www.apache.org/~ianh
www.apache.org/~jerenkrantz/apache2handler

I don't know PHP's code review process or how to check the code in (I have
a CVS account for PHP)

my limited testing of the code appears that it works correctly.

--Ian