httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:10:18 GMT
At 10:25 AM -0500 2/5/03, Ben Hyde wrote:

>There is a fun transition in progress.  The 1.3 crowd had a lot of people who were very
passionate about operational focus - i.e. apache embedded as a component in a large complex
system of other junk (people, business, middleware, whatever).  Overtime that assured that
it aligned nicely with the needs of the people that run real websites.

>The 2.0 crowd is more inward looking, very expert in how to engineer the web server engine.
 When the 2.0 enterprise emerged a lot of 1.3 folks wandered off, the refactoring work wasn't
what they were passionate about.   As 2.0 is adopted by the operational crowd we will see
more contributors with those passions returning.  They will help to make adoption and upgrade
easier.  They will help to polish the beast into something that is fits their needs better
and better.

Ben makes an extremely good point above. Not to be a fuddy-duddy, but
when developing the 0.x -> 1.3 releases, it was a lot about "Why do
I, as a web adminstrator/user want and need" and we'd add that in.
Just about every developer was also someone who depended on Apache.
When 2.0 started, and up until "recently", the majority of the effort
was getting to a point where you had a server that ran well enough
that you could consider adding real-world functional needs. Personally,
I think the time and effort spent on getting the engine foundation right
and featureful made sense, since it provides a much better platform
for the operational aspects. Some things that someone would want to
do, operationally, was darn near impossible with 1.3, but quite doable
with 2.0.