httpd-dev mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject suexec patch, please review! (was: suexec error logging)
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 22:20:56 GMT
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Is there any particular reason why suexec can't log an error to stderr as
> well as to its own logfile?  I guess it could be a way to find out some
> information about file permissions that would not ordinarily be available.
> What about writing "suexec failure; see suexec_log for more details" to
> stderr?
>
> The point is that "premature end of script headers" is the current
> contents of the error log for suexec failures.  This catch-all error is
> really quite unhelpful, and results in lots of extra debugging time.  It
> is especially bad because many third-party packagers enable suexec by
> default; so many people are using it without even knowing it.

Totally agreed.
I've attached a patch for suexec that writes an additional message to
stderr, which shows up in the approriate error log.
But I'd very like some security review before committing it.

(Otherwise I hope to wake up the people, when I'm committing ...)

nd
--
sub the($){+shift} sub answer (){ord q
        [* It is always 42! *]       }