httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject RE: story posted
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 01:02:39 GMT
> Rather than fix the TS issues in all the 3rd party libraries
> that can be used with PHP's and its extension its more
> pragmatic to sort out thread/filter issues in PHP core.

    The PHP project has been working on thread-safety since 1999.
    All core components and most extensions can be compiled in
    thread-safe mode.

    The first SAPI module for a threaded UNIX web server was
    completed in the same year (for AOLserver).

    It's safe to assert that we need to primarily worry about 3rd
    party libraries.

> Also blaming on use of TLS seems a little strange since use of
> TLS is supposed to improve re-entrancy isn't it ?

    Let me just quickly define what these concepts refer to.

    Thread-safe means that you can run code in multiple threads
    concurrently (e.g. multiple worker threads).

    Reentrant means that you can run code in a single thread
    context in a nested way (e.g. Apache sub-requests).

    Thread local storage aids only the former one.

    From my point of view we should not worry about reentrancy
    right now, at least not until we a have firm grasp on the 3rd
    party TS issues.

    - Sascha