httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:05:53 GMT
> Perhaps it's best for someone to simply port php4apache to 2.0 and start
> moving a little momentum.  The thread-safety arguement is a little bogus,
> until folks have something to start finding thread-safety bugs.  How long
> have Win32 users been doing PHP within threaded servers?

We have gotten a number of TS bug reports, and what does Windows have to
do with it?  Most Windows libraries are threadsafe to begin with.  We are
not talking about TS issues in PHP here, we are talking about them in
libraries that we have no control over.  Sometimes these are even
binary-only libraries.  This is something that will eventually work itself
out as developers become more aware and threaded apps start becoming more
common on UNIX systems.  But that doesn't change the fact that it is a
real problem for us today.

I would love to have a list of the known TS issues in the various
3rd-party libraries out there, and I did try to push that a bit with this:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/developer/thread_safety.html

a while ago now.  I was hoping for some more input here.  We should be
able to get to the point where we can tell people that Apache2+PHP+"List
of safe extensions" is production-quality as long as they don't stray into
any of the extensions/3rd party libs on the unsafe/unknown list.  Right
now that list unfortunately includes just about everything you can hook
into PHP.

-Rasmus