httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 18:35:40 GMT

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 10:22  AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> ROTFL...
> This explains my earlier observation re "if the only tool you have
> (amendment: or think you have) is a hammer, every problem looks like a
> nail" :-)
>
> Seriously, handlers exist in 2.0 (see modules/generators) and the APIs
> are there to read POST'ed data.  I would think it's not too terribly
> difficult to port 1.3 mod_php to 2.0 using the exact same handler
> model.
>
> Of course you still won't be able to embed php scripts in SSI tags
> (w/o doing unnatural things) but who really cares?

I just looked at mod_cgi, and lo and behold it uses input and output
filters
for reading POST bodies and generating output, even though it's
implemented in
the handler hook. If you see any other handlers/generators that consume
input
bodies and use the APIs you're talking about, please point them out.

In any case, the mod_cgi solution gets us back to the same problem
we've always
had with PHP, which is that we can't buffer the entire input body w/o
having
a huge memory impact on multithreaded servers. (We would need to buffer
it because
of the way PHP expects to consume input data.)

-aaron