httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "NAIK,ROSHAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <roshan.n...@hp.com>
Subject RE: story posted
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 00:00:08 GMT

Rather than fix the TS issues in all the 3rd party libraries that can be
used
with PHP's and its extension its more pragmatic to sort out thread/filter
issues
in PHP core. Since similar arguments can be made for Apache core too.
The same issue has certainly not stopped Apache 2.0 itself from going
forward with
full thread support. Apache core minds its own threading business and lets
all the
modules to mind (or not mind) their own ...despite the fact that using such
modules renders Apache server on a users m/c susceptible to the threading
related disasters.

Also blaming on use of TLS seems a little strange since use of TLS is
supposed to improve re-entrancy
isn't it ?

Also the /tmp/somefile  implementation that sascha was referring to was
changed many releases ago.

Given the availablity of TSRM (Thread safe resource manager) on PHP seems
like a attempt
in the direction. So is the thread safety issue exist due to not using TSRM
where needed within
PHP or cuz TSRM needs more work and there is more to it than just TSRM ?

--Roshan