httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr_lstat() fails on linux for large files
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:30:00 GMT
At 03:37 PM 2/28/2003, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>Joe Orton wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:23:31PM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
>>
>>>Of course, if I go and explictly compile Apache with
>>>CFLAGS=-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64, then it works.
>>>
>>>So I guess the ultimate questions are these:
>>>
>>>(a) Why doesn't Apache automatically include largefile support?
>>>Performance reasons?  Shouldn't there at least be an easy ./configure
>>>option to turn it on?
>>

>>There are at least two ramifications of doing this (this is all only
>>relevant on 32-bit systems):
>

>isn't there also the problem that sendfile will be broken on many Linux boxes?
>

>>- Apache/APR compiled with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 has an incompatible
>>module ABI with one which isn't - this is especially nasty if you don't
>>detect it at module load time.
>
>something we can fix for APR 1.0/Apache 2.1-dev by making apr_off_t always 64 bits

+1

>whether native apr_off_t is 64 bits or not?

s/apr_off_t/off_t/ :-)  Yes - I like this proposal if the platform has *any*
expectation of being compiled for LARGEFILES.  Of course, if you can name
a platform with 32 bit files, that's another story ;-)

Enough users consider this a bug that it might be worth considering some
way of installing both libapr.0.9.so and libapr.lf.0.9.so.  I'm not just speaking
of this one case, but all of the problems sending >2GB/4GB content, huge
log files, etc.

Just a thought.

Bill

Bill