httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Graceful shutdown in 2.0
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:12:08 GMT
At 07:29 AM 2/5/2003, Hans Zaunere wrote:

>> David Burry wrote:
>>
>> > um, but if you're talking about shutting down the proxy itself (i.e. the
>> > whole service, cutting off all load balanced machines behind it) that's
>> > hardly graceful to begin with.... so why bother to make it graceful...
>
>I've wondered about this as well.  Even for just single servers, it'd be nice
>to shutdown the server "gracefully".  Often, I'm more comfortable with
>stopping and then starting the server than doing a reload, so a graceful
>shutdown would be useful, unless I'm missing something that already exists.

With the new interdependencies with DAV content... e.g. live files are
being modified while the server is operating, it seems like a forced shutdown
of a DAV server could cause havoc.  Correct me if I'm off base here.

So perhaps graceful shutdown would be a good thing, perhaps even
ultra-graceful (allowing open keep alive connections to finish serving
all requests.)  But at minimum we don't want to always cut off POST
or PUT requests mid-stream.

Bill