httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:29:20 GMT
gstein@apache.org wrote:

> gstein      2003/02/27 04:53:19
>
>   Modified:    .        Tag: APACHE_2_0_BRANCH STATUS
>   Log:
>   trawick wanted commentary in STATUS rather than on the mailing list.
> fine...

I don't care whether commentary on this topic is in STATUS or on the
mailing list (I for one put all of my commentary on this topic on the
mailing list).

I do want to make sure that people who appear to disagree with the
status quo take the opportunity to formalize that with a vote, because
it is that vote that directly controls how things are done, not the
megabytes of commentary.

Regarding your comment "But now we're seeing this stupid R-T-C hammer
being used to smack developers over the head."

Stas didn't follow the rules that the group chose, and I took exception
because his action interfered with my own desires to carefully review
anything within my grasp which is committed to the stable branch.  End
of story.

[IMO he didn't follow the rules not because he was bad and needed to be
smacked over the head but because he was not accustomed to how the
stable branch was being handled and needed to be steered in the right
direction.  I'm definitely in the Stas fan club and don't plan on trying
to smack him over the head.  I also have faith that he is clever enough
to realize that procedural comments on a commit (be they gripes about
whitespace or missing information or otherwise) are not smacks on the
head but instead attempts to steer somebody in the right direction.]