httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Patches and Enhancements for a SSL-Proxy Based on Apache 2.0 (mod_ssl, mod_proxy, mod_headers)
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:44:32 GMT
Maik Mueller wrote:

> I don't consider the behavior of mod_headers as a bug.
> The point is that the content of the environment variable
> SSL_CLIENT_CERT isn't formatted according to the rules for folding
> headers onto multiple lines.

The job of formatting the header onto multiple lines should be the job
of mod_headers - the data should come out the other side exactly as it
was passed in. Fixing this to work correctly is a far more elegant
solution to the problem.

> Building a correct header from a arbitrary environment variable's
> content isn't that easy (CRLF, character escaping,...) and can be a
> considerable performance penalty.

Not necessarily. All it takes is to add a space before each line sent
out, which is not difficult to do.

As to character escaping, I am not 100% sure what character set
restrictions exist on the content of headers. In your case the
characters are base64 characters, which are not a problem. RFC2616
should cover this though anyway.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon