httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:05:04 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>>Running a threaded mpm on Linux is just not interesting today. The
>>memory footprint of the server is reduced, but so is the performance
>>(requests per second). Even worse, with the current Linux pthread
>>implementation, the threaded MPM does not provide appreciably better
>>scalability (ability to support large numbers of concurrent clients)
>>than the prefork MPM. And just forget being able to efficiently use SMP
>>architectures with the threaded MPM.
I should have said "Forget being able to efficiently use SMP
architectures -on Linux- with the current pthread implementation. I am
ranting about Linux because that is the OS that runs most Apache
installations.

> Agreed. For some/many, prefork is just fine. Also, depending on the
> OS, worker may or may not be a 'Wow maker'. As you said, under Linux
> it's not a big diff, under other OSs (like Solaris), the difference
> is appreciable.

More like -huge-. The threaded MPM makes a big (think nearly an order of
magnitude) difference in scalability on AIX. I expect the same is true
on Solaris. I also think we will see similar results on Linux with
either of the new pthread libraries.

Bill