httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:49:25 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> At 6:31 PM -0800 2/4/03, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>>Some questions for thought: if we start banging out versions right and left,
>>then will people actually upgrade? Are we doomed to live with 1.3 forever?
>>Or do we have to stick with today's architecture to support binary
>>compatibility for N years?
>>

> Very nice. I think you hit the nail on the head. For many people,
> 1.3 is "good enough" and "has been working just fine" so why migrate?
> I think that the perception that 2.0 "hasn't been ready for Prime
> Time" is slowly changing, however. First of all, we've been good in
> stabilizing the 2.0 API. Crucial for module developers. Secondly,
> we see that result in more modules for 2.0.

Running a threaded mpm on Linux is just not interesting today. The
memory footprint of the server is reduced, but so is the performance
(requests per second). Even worse, with the current Linux pthread
implementation, the threaded MPM does not provide appreciably better
scalability (ability to support large numbers of concurrent clients)
than the prefork MPM. And just forget being able to efficiently use SMP
architectures with the threaded MPM.

However, all that will change dramatically with the introduction of the
new pthread libraries being developed by Redhat and IBM (may the best
implementation win :-).  Starting with RH 8.1, the threaded MPM on Linux
should really start to shine.

Bill