httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:54:28 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 06:31:10PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> >Some questions for thought: if we start banging out versions right
> and left,
> >then will people actually upgrade? Are we doomed to live with 1.3
> forever?
> >Or do we have to stick with today's architecture to support binary
> >compatibility for N years?
>

> PHP has been one of the main problems we've seen in acceptance: people
> are scared off 2.0 because the PHP documentation has a big warning
> saying "don't use PHP with 2.0 on production servers".

You can also see text in our bug database from a prominent PHP developer
saying that the filter API needs to be redone from scratch (my
paraphrase).  For the enthusiastic PHP users, such comments carry a lot
of weight and imply that PHP isn't production ready with 2.0 not because
  nobody has made it a high priority to make PHP production ready but
instead because there is something flawed about Apache 2.0.