httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 06:56:28 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> Some questions for thought: if we start banging out versions right and left,
> then will people actually upgrade? Are we doomed to live with 1.3 forever?
> Or do we have to stick with today's architecture to support binary
> compatibility for N years?

I think OS distributions will play a large role in this. When the
Solaris / Redhat / Suse / IBM / Whoever people start shipping v2.0 with
their OS'es (which has already started happening in the case of redhat)
adoption will be quite quick.

In addition, apache v2.0 comes with SSL + LDAP built in, where v1.3 did
not - this will probably give people more reason to use it.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street