httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: Graceful shutdown in 2.0
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 06:00:03 GMT
David Burry wrote:

> um, but if you're talking about shutting down the proxy itself (i.e. the
> whole service, cutting off all load balanced machines behind it) that's
> hardly graceful to begin with.... so why bother to make it graceful...

If your proxy machines were being load balanced by an Alteon switch (or
whatever) you could probably tell the switch to stop sending new
connections to the proxy in question, while allowing the old connections
to finish. Of course this is based on whether the Alteon (or whatever)
config will let you do this of course.

On the proxy side, maybe some generic function in Apache that is not
proxy specific could signal Apache to go into a "disabled" state, where
new connections get "connection refused", while old connections run
their course. The load balancer I assume would detect this state and
pass any new requests on to other machines. You could use ./apachectl
disable and ./apachectl enable to achieve this.

					over Bourbon Street

View raw message