httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Strange Behavior of Apache 2.0.43 on SPARC MP system
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 05:06:38 GMT
--On Tuesday, February 11, 2003 7:05 PM -0600 Min Xu
<mxu@cae.wisc.edu> wrote:

> case. On the other hand, I have used solaris "psrset" to logically
> divide the 14p server into "two" machines, and I bind the server
> and the client to different processor sets. And the results shows
> again the small delay time have important impact on system
> throughput.

Isolating processors is not enough.  Your bottleneck is probably the
memory backplane (or disk thoroughput) which doesn't partition.  The
small time delay in your client is probably freeing the backplane to
service the starved processes.  The only way the backplane won't be a
factor is if everything fits into cache - which almost never happens.

If you want to mimic the real world, use separate machines and a fast
network backbone.  GigE is probably what you'd need to make the CPU
the bottleneck - special cases can be crafted with mod_include or
large files that saturate FastE (see flood).  For optimal
performance, you'd need to ensure that your NICs and disk use DMA.
This allows for zero copy - ensure you are using sendfilev() on
Solaris.  -- justin