httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: layering mod_auth_digest and mod_python authentication in apache2
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:30:59 GMT
--On Monday, February 10, 2003 4:42 PM -0800 Paul Querna
<chip@cyan.com> wrote:

> Okay, so now the big question, how long do you think it will be
> before Apache2.1 is released?  2 Months? 6 Months? 1+ Year(s)?
>
> I am willing to code it out for Apache2.1 assuming it will be
> coming fairly soon, but if it is too far off, i will have todo it
> another way.

I'd hope within 3-4 months, but the real answer is, 'whenever it is
ready.'  I have a feeling we'd be better off with smaller more
incremental changes between minor releases.  (The aaa code has been
there since last August, so I think it is reasonably stable.)

I think we definitely have to have the APR situation straightened out
before we can even consider a 2.2.  Yet, perhaps I will roll a 2.1
release in the next few weeks just to get one out there.

At ApacheCon, we discussed a way that we could backport the new aaa
modules to 2.0, but I won't have the time to do that.  If someone
wanted to do that, it'd be goodness.  (It wouldn't break backwards
compatibility if done carefully.)

The only major thing I'd like to see happen before 2.2 (and that I
think is reasonable in that timeframe) is getting a handle on the
mod_dav memory situation and cleaning up how it uses pools.  I know
some other people have thoughts for HEAD that they could get in in
the next few months.  -- justin