httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:32:15 GMT
--On Wednesday, February 5, 2003 10:09 AM -0600 "William A. Rowe,
Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> This is a bug in the way Apache autoconf's... OpenSSL and OpenLDAP
> should never be linked to the core... they should have been
> detected and added only to the modules/ssl and modules/ldap
> makefiles' CFLAGS/LDFLAGS.

The majority of Unix platforms don't allow inheriting LDFLAGS from
DSOs.  Therefore, the core must dynamically link against OpenSSL and
OpenLDAP not the modules.  The run-time linker gets its search paths
from the executable not the DSOs.

So, I don't think you can do that portably.

> Let's expect to fix that before releasing 2.2.  And maybe consider
> always enabling APR thread support while we are at it.

APR thread support is always enabled if the platform has it (not sure
why you think it doesn't).

We've disabled it by default on FreeBSD because we know the thread
libraries still has subtle quirks (user is free to override us by
passing --enable-threads).  We're trying to find someone with 5.0 and
see if it is fixed.  I believe Tony Finch has hinted that 5.1 might
have the real fixes we need for FreeBSD.  -- justin