httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apr_lstat() fails on linux for large files
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:03:34 GMT
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:23:31PM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> Of course, if I go and explictly compile Apache with
> CFLAGS=-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64, then it works.
>
> So I guess the ultimate questions are these:
>
> (a) Why doesn't Apache automatically include largefile support?
> Performance reasons?  Shouldn't there at least be an easy ./configure
> option to turn it on?

There are at least two ramifications of doing this (this is all only
relevant on 32-bit systems):

- Apache/APR compiled with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 has an incompatible
module ABI with one which isn't - this is especially nasty if you don't
detect it at module load time.

- Apache modules which are hence built with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 may use
third-party libraries, which may expose off_t in their API.  If so, you
require that all those third-party libraries are also compiled with
_FILS_OFFSET_BITS=64.  (I don't know how much of a problem this will
really be: a quick grep for off_t through /usr/include and
php4/ext/*/*.c says it might not be *so* bad.)

Regards,

joe