httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Maik Mueller <maik...@hw1464.wdf.sap-ag.de>
Subject Re: Patches and Enhancements for a SSL-Proxy Based on Apache 2.0 (mod_ssl, mod_proxy, mod_headers)
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:47:08 GMT
Hello Graham,

GL> Maik Mueller wrote:

>> 1. SSL_CLIENT_CERT produces multi-line output and the RequestHeader
>> directive isn't able to transfer it into a correct multi-line HTTP
header.

GL> As I understand it, headers may span multiple lines (correct me if I am
GL> wrong). Therefore if RequestHeader isn't able to handle multi line
GL> headers, then this is a bug which should be fixed.
I don't consider the behavior of mod_headers as a bug.
The point is that the content of the environment variable
SSL_CLIENT_CERT isn't formatted according to the rules for folding
headers onto multiple lines.

Quoting HTTP/1.0:
>   HTTP/1.0 headers may be folded onto multiple lines if each
>   continuation line begins with a space or horizontal tab. All linear
>   whitespace, including folding, has the same semantics as SP.
>
>       LWS            = [CRLF] 1*( SP | HT )
>
>   However, folding of header lines is not expected by some
>   applications, and should not be generated by HTTP/1.0 applications.

Building a correct header from a arbitrary environment variable's
content isn't that easy (CRLF, character escaping,...) and can be a
considerable performance penalty.

For this reason I have added the "E" option with the described
semantics.

--
Best regards,
 Maik