httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Min Xu <...@cae.wisc.edu>
Subject Re: Strange Behavior of Apache 2.0.43 on SPARC MP system
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 02:29:16 GMT
On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 08:09:14PM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Min Xu wrote:
>
> > Well, I am not defending this server/client-on-one-system is better
> > or anything. Just want to understand this better. Isn't the clients
> > block when the servers can not response? From a higher level of point
> > of view, the system is a closed queuing system. In the steady state
> > there should be a balance between servers and clients, right?
>
> You still end up with situations where the client steals the timeslice
> away from the server when it doesn't really have any significant work to
> do, and then the server has to switch back in and do a little more
> work.... etc.

I don't understand, if the client is blocked, it only be woke up when
the server reply is avaiable. In that case, the server should have done
it is job. In other words, the client is not spinning, it is instead
put on sleep when calling read syscall.

--
Rapid keystrokes and painless deletions often leave a writer satisfied with
work that is merely competent.