httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:25:48 GMT
Putting on my PR hat - we could do a better job of getting out 'talking
points' ducks in line.  Like Greg says that kind of marketing outreach
is not us.  All the points Greg touched on in that article should be in
our talking points and there are more!

There should be 3-5 points we make every-time about why 2.0 is the
cat's pajamas.

Unlike a commercial vendor we aren't caught between the rock and a hard
place that forces vendors to trade off forcing users to go thru upgrade
hell to assure they can pull down some more revenue.  We get to build
what we hope is a better thing and if it is people will migrate to it.

We should not ever complain that other large constituencies haven't
'gotten with the program.'  We should always talk about how it's hard
for these large constituencies to move, to reengineer.  Boy we have
sympathy for it.   We work with them.  We respect them.

Unlike a commercial vendor, we do not have an end-of-life plan for 1.3.
  We do no intend to have one.  As long as people want to work on it,
more power to them!  Nobody should every be embarrassed that they
haven't switched to 2.0.  Try it, you'll like it.

There is a fun transition in progress.  The 1.3 crowd had a lot of
people who were very passionate about operational focus - i.e. apache
embedded as a component in a large complex system of other junk
(people, business, middleware, whatever).  Overtime that assured that
it aligned nicely with the needs of the people that run real websites.

The 2.0 crowd is more inward looking, very expert in how to engineer
the web server engine.  When the 2.0 enterprise emerged a lot of 1.3
folks wandered off, the refactoring work wasn't what they were
passionate about.   As 2.0 is adopted by the operational crowd we will
see more contributors with those passions returning.  They will help to
make adoption and upgrade easier.  They will help to polish the beast
into something that is fits their needs better and better.

Some of the rough going around the heavy weight complementary products
(the middleware, the platforms, the larger sites, etc) is tied to that,
or at least analogous to that.

   - ben

"Upgrade - the most frightening word in modern computing."