httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: story posted
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:47:44 GMT

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 08:02  AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>> Well, I stand by that.  The filter API is a bloody mess.  Something
>> which
>> should be simple and elegant has turned into this amazingly complex
>> tangle
>> of code that is nearly impossible to figure out.
>
> What I think is useful information to people who want PHP+Apache-2.0
> is:
>
> a) is PHP not production ready with Apache 2.0 because it was not high
> enough priority for PHP to be tested?
>
> or
>
> b) is PHP not production ready with Apache 2.0 because Apache 2.0 must
> be fixed before such a thing is even possible?
>
> I see more comments implying b) than a).  As such, it seems that
> anybody that wants to hack PHP to work better with 2.0 is wasting
> their time.

I'm still catching up on email, so apologies if someone has already
replied to this...

There are two basic problems in getting PHP to work with Apache 2:

1) PHP wants to pull data (both POST bodies and php scripts);
    but Apache 2 output filters want to push data. Buffering the
    entire output stream is not feasible.

2) PHP depends on many third party libraries, many of which are
    neither reentrant nor threadsafe.

-aaron