httpd-dev mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: move RFC 1413 out of core?
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:19:12 GMT
* Mads Toftum wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 02:19:26AM +0100, André Malo wrote:
>> oh darn, that's a weird definition. Ok, then I think, I'll leave it in
>> mod_log_config (which uses the api function anyway). Thanks for the hint
>> ;-)
>>
> Couldn't this be fixed by either changing the logformat to have - in that
> place, or by just substituting a - whenever ident is not turned on?
> Having a module for it might be a bit overkill though ;)

the functionality of "determine the ident user" is not in mod_log_config
(of course) but the definition of the "%l" format itself. My first thought
was to move the format definition also to mod_ident, which is - as Joshua
pointed out - not a good choice, since the %l format will be needed by
default.

So it will stay in mod_log_config, which uses the already existing api call
to get the value. Then it doesn't matter if mod_ident is present or not,
because if the api call returns no value it will be automatically set to
"-" in the log (which is the current behaviour, too). The format definition
code is quite small, so the little overhead in mod_log_config doesn't
really count.

nd
--
"Die Untergeschosse der Sempergalerie bleiben währenddessen aus
 statistischen Gründen geflutet." -- Spiegel Online