httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@rkbloom.net>
Subject Re: Problem and Solution to svn import
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:43:17 GMT
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 07:31:56PM -0800, rbb@rkbloom.net wrote:

> > The solution, luckily, is simple.  Add the following to your Apache config
> > file:
> >
> > 	    BrowserMatch "SVN" redirect-carefully
>
> No way. Lines like that are to handle broken clients. Since we know that the
> client can be fixed, then that is the correct approach. The
> redirect-carefully should never be used to allow/enable broken behavior.
>
> > This instructs mod_dir to only do the redirect on GET requests.  That
> > should be mentioned in the docs somewhere.
>
> Nope, cuz it shouldn't be in the docs :-)

I'm missing something.  Your argument as I understand it is:  The svn
client is broken, because it isn't handling redirects.  But, don't
document the work-around, because that is for broken clients, and we can
fix our client.

I agree that the client can be fixed, but this needs to be documented in
the meantime.  I am more than happy to do the fix, it will probably be a
few days before I have the time to do it though.  If the work-around goes
in now, you will save some new users a big hassle.  When the client is
fixed, remove the work-around from the docs.  If the work-around is never
published, then GREAT, but I thought you were trying to do a release later
this week.  If you are, then this needs to be a part of the docs, or new
users will have problems, especially since I don't believe this
work-around can be found in httpd-2.0 docs either.  I only found it
because I read the Apache source.

Ryan