httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Sander Striker" <stri...@apache.org>
Subject RE: merging httpd-pop3 into httpd-2.0?
Date Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:16:37 GMT

[...]
>>> Also by adding a module like this,
>>> the complete group should also think of making Apache
>>> somehow a bit more 'different protocol friendly'. I understand
>>> this is already a topic of the past (2 years ago), but
>>> now it becomes valid request to ask, IMHO.
>>
>> I'm not sure if it makes sense to turn an http server in an all-purpose
>> multi-protocol beast. I'd favour a number of servers which rely on a
>> set of well-defined libs (APR, APR-util and what else?).
>
> I agree here as well. Does it make sense to make Apache an all-purpose
> server.

Why not?  The framework is certainly up for it.  There are a few glitches
to work out, but it could very well be used as a multi-purpose framework.
Doing that will keep us hold the abstractions in check aswell.

> Somehow it could be, since you can reuse parts of Apache and APR
> for instance. But then one does not need to use Apache to make a POP
> server while still using APR. Simply download APR and use it as a library.

*Buzzz*  What about the mpm's?  And all the other support functionality
that is in the 2.0 framework?  Do you suggest we move it all out to APR?
Or would you suggest reimplementing it all for the <protocol of choice>
you'd like to implement?

>> A super-server would not be easy to administer (bringing down pop just
>> to restart http?).

You would run two instances, so you don't have to bring one down to touch
the other.

> And perhaps some memory models suit one protocol better than others.

That would be more of an APR issue.

Sander