httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Yuriy Pasichnyk" <yuriy_pasich...@hotmail.com>
Subject Need your advice about proper design of input and output filters
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:33:00 GMT
Dear Sirs,

I am extensively using mod_dav module. And very often there is
a need to modify WebDAV/HTTP request and response.

Example:
1. User requests resource by the following URL: '/resource'
2. I have to modify the URL as the following: '/{username}/resource'
3. As you can see what has to be done seems like something for mod_rewrite,
   but the problem is that the same modification is needed for headers and
body
   of a request as well (something that mod_rewrite doesn't do).
4. Request is pocessed by a content handler
5. Now we have to do similar modifications with response (headers and body)

I think that the problem is quite generic so instead of hacking/modifying
mod_dav I was thinking of writing separate apache module/filter that can be
reused by other people as well.

So, as it appears to me, I have the following options:
1. Write handler (let's say fixup_handler or url_translate_name_handler)
that
   will intercept and modify a request, but I cannot use anything like that
for
   modifying response (as I understand for that matter I have to use filters
only,
   unless content handler is mod_perl perl handler that is written with
chaining
   requests in mind). I don't think that combining handler and filter is
   elegant solution.
2. Write request input and output filters (the problem here is - access to
   URL and headers of request and response)
3. WRite connection input and output filters (the problem here is -
subrequest.
   I need to know user name during the modification process. To discover the
user
   name I need to issue subrequest. If I had request_rec in hands that the
issueing
   subrequest wouldn't be a problem. But how do I do it in connection filter
?)

So, if you were so kind to express your ideas I whould highly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Yuriy

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup