httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Harrie Hazewinkel <har...@lisanza.net>
Subject Re: merging httpd-pop3 into httpd-2.0?
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:47:43 GMT
HI,

On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 10:22 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Saturday, January 25, 2003 9:43 PM +0100 Harrie Hazewinkel
> <harrie@lisanza.net> wrote:
>
>> 3)Why for instance, could this not stay as a seperate module??
>
> The case that can be made for folding it in is that there is no
> community currently around mod_pop3.  If people were to step up and be
> responsible for it outside of the main tree, then I don't think
> there'd be a desire to merge it in.

I see it different. Currently their is no interest in it, so there is
no reason to fold it in. People are not interested in it and thus
it would just consuming extra bytes in an HTTPD distribution.

> For the record, I'm personally ambivalent towards merging it in.  I
> don't really care one way or another, and probably wouldn't spend much
> time on it (if at all).  -- justin

Not sure if my vote counts, but I would vote
-1 on merging it in. The main reasons are,
1) there seems no big interest in it (somehow I look at it and
    no one noticed for instance the missing licence for some years),
2) if this gets folded in more modules should
    be accepted (the past has taught me the ASF did not do that),
3) the group should be open to changes in the core to
    facilitate all the new protocols (for instance, like the
    proposal presented at ApacheCon Santa Clara).

I would earlier suggest a mail-server project. For instance, I
have already a framework for IMAP, that if my company allows to
release it can be folded in this project.

cheers,

Harrie
Author of MOD-SNMP, enabling SNMP management of Apache HTTP server