httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: merging httpd-pop3 into httpd-2.0?
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:00:23 GMT

>> 3)Why for instance, could this not stay as a seperate module??
>

> I don't think we should be moving more code into the core.
> It would be nice if we could make the core lean and mean
> and keep the modules on their own independent development
> paths.
>
> Besides, this module is a great example module, so it should
> stay that way (and stay out of the base distribution).
>
> -aaron

I find it very interesting that a year or so ago, there was a heated
debate about whether we should include mod_proxy in the distribution or
leave it as a seperate project. There were -very- strong opinions on
both sides of the debate.  The interesting observation is that mod_proxy
had folks willing to maintain it, it was used and desired by the http
server user community and it was an http protocol module. Now we have
very few dissenting opinions about bloating the core with a module that
has nothing to do with, http or the http server and has no following or
user community.  I am a strong +1 with leaving it where it is. If enough
folks are interested, build a webpage and advertise it.  If it scratches
an itch, it will become popular enough to develop and maintain a user
community. Bundling it with the httpd distribution is not going to
influence  its popularity.  mod_pop3 is a pretty interesting module but
I am -1 (a vote not a veto) for including it in the core distribution.

Bill