httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: merging httpd-pop3 into httpd-2.0?
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:41:52 GMT
Harrie Hazewinkel wrote:
> HI,
>
> On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 10:22 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> --On Saturday, January 25, 2003 9:43 PM +0100 Harrie Hazewinkel
>> <harrie@lisanza.net> wrote:
>>
>>> 3)Why for instance, could this not stay as a seperate module??
>>
>> The case that can be made for folding it in is that there is no
>> community currently around mod_pop3.  If people were to step up and be
>> responsible for it outside of the main tree, then I don't think
>> there'd be a desire to merge it in.
>
> I see it different. Currently their is no interest in it, so there is
> no reason to fold it in. People are not interested in it and thus
> it would just consuming extra bytes in an HTTPD distribution.

Perhaps there is not much interest because it is somewhat 'hidden'? IMHO mod_pop3 would gain
more visibility and therefore perhaps a better community when folded into httpd. Imagine windoze
users: they mostly rely on binary distributions and up to now there are just the sources around.
If mod_pop3 gets used more widely, there probably will be also more developers who will be
attracted to contribute.

Leaving it in it's own repo-module as it is now, without any person in charge of it, will
let it die on the long run.

Personally I'm +/-0 towards folding it into httpd, since I won't have the time to contribute...just
my 2c.

cheers,
erik