httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: "Group" not working properly
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:19:54 GMT

Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> While testing mod_ldap, I noticed it was creating a shared memory file
> like so:
>
> [minfrin@jessica httpd-2.0]$ ls -al /tmp/mod_ldap_cache
> -rw-r--r--    1 nobody   4294967295        4 Jan 22 14:09
> /tmp/mod_ldap_cache

As others mentioned, that big number has the same representation as 32-bit
-1.  I checked a couple of systems and gid_t is unsigned 32-bit there,
and Apache treats the number as gid_t internally.  The user can code that
big unsigned number for group if they want to.  Operationally, the right
thing happens either way; there is no bug.

Perhaps some people would rather see

Group #4294967295

instead of

Group #-1

in the default config file?

I prefer the second flavor actually (historical (i.e., google-able) and more
concise).