httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 CHANGES configure.in
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:25:50 GMT
--On Thursday, January 09, 2003 16:51:54 -0500 Greg Ames
<gregames@apache.org> wrote:

> more weirdness.  I'm trying to verify that there is some way to get
> Apache to build with apr & apr-util preinstalled outside of httpd.  So
> far I've seen:
>
> * apr-util's configure dies with
>
> configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in ../apr/build
> ./../apr/build
>
> ...if the apr source tree isn't called "apr" exactly or doesn't share a
> commom parent with the apr-util source tree.  OK, I can shuffle things
> around to get past that pretty easily.  Moving on,

apr-util can not build without apr being in ../apr.  We know this has to be
fixed before we can even consider releasing apr-util as a standalone.
0.9.2 was stillborn because of this.

> * apr-util's make dies with
>
> Makefile:23: /tmp/inst_apr/bin/build/rules.mk: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target `/tmp/inst_apr/bin/build/rules.mk'.
> Stop.
>
> hmmm, looks like apr-util's ./configure --help is telling a fib when it
> says --with-apr can point to apr's install directory.  It can't, but
> seems to work OK if you point it at apr's source tree.

It can.  My guess is that you have a symlink somewhere.  apr-config can get
confused in certain circumstances when there is a symlink so that the
prefix that was originally passed to apr-config is invalid.  It thinks it
is not in the source nor installed directory - therefore, it assumes it is
in a VPATH situation.  This results in the bin/ weirdness.

There are some recent fixes in apr that attempt to address this (but
doesn't work everywhere since it relies upon 'realpath' being available).

> * httpd's make dies when trying to generate exports.c, as Jeff reported,
> with
>
> gawk:
> /home/gregames/apache/httpd-2.0.44.pre1.no_apr/build/make_exports.awk:138
> :
> (FILENAME=/home/gregames/apache/httpd-2.0.44.pre1.no_apr/os/unix/unixd.h
> FNR=141) fatal: cannot open file
> `/home/gregames/apache/httpd-2.0.44.pre1.no_apr/srclib/apr/include/*.h'
> for reading (No such file or directory)
>
> My apr install directory is /tmp/inst_apr, so it does have the characters
> "apr" in its name.

APR_INCLUDEDIR=`$apr_config --includes | sed 's|^.*-I\([[^ ]]*apr[[^

You have to get the above sed rule from httpd-2.0's configure.in to fire
correctly.  It's very fragile and very wrong, but it works in some
predictable edge cases.  I haven't had the time to figure out exactly what
the edge case is other than that apr-0.9.2 seems to work.  Perhaps it is
something to do with apr being at the end of the directory name?

I want to add a --includedir option to apr-config so that we can eliminate
the guessing we have right now.  -- justin