httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/dav/main util.c
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 06:30:46 GMT
--On Wednesday, January 29, 2003 10:18 PM -0800 "Roy T. Fielding"
<fielding@apache.org> wrote:

>>   Allow mod_dav to do weak entity comparison function rather than
>>   a  strong
>>   entity comparison function.  (i.e. it will optionally strip the
>>   W/  prefix.)
>
> That doesn't really follow the spirit of etag validation in HTTP.
> In theory, the client is not allowed to use weak etags for anything
> other than cache consistency checks, so this won't help any client
> that is actually HTTP-compliant.  It would be better to send a
> strong entity tag in the first place.

Julian Reschke from the IETF WebDAV WG filed a PR saying that we were
in violation of the RFC because mod_dav didn't allow weak entity
tags.  This is part of the 'Summary of If header eval tests' thread
on the w3c-dist-auth mailing list.

The problem has to do when a weak entity tag is generated on a file
that has just changed (therefore, MUST be weak).  When a request
tries to use that weak entity tag on a If: in a subsequent request
(after the etag is now strong), mod_dav would reject it because it
was weak.

Julian said that was incorrect behavior.  I'm not currently in a
position to disagree.  Feel free to disagree with him.  I have to
admit that this area is *very* unclear in the RFCs.  I tend to say
that we should be forgiving in this case (liberal in what you accept,
blah, blah).  But, I have no problem backing it out if the protocol
gurus say so.  =)  -- justin