httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>
Subject Re: merging httpd-pop3 into httpd-2.0?
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:45:27 GMT
What does mod_pop3 actually do? Provide some kind of POP3 server using the
Apache structure? If so, I'd be quite interested as a user (I mainly run
Apache 2 on Windows) but unfortunately my abilities don't extend to C, so I
couldn't offer development help.

However, I agree that if it were part of the main distro, it'd generate more
interest, and probably build up it's own community fairly soon.

So, FWIW, I'd say +1 to including it.

Chris Taylor - chris@x-bb.org - The guy with the PS2 WebServer -
http://www.x-bb.org/chris.asc

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Abele" <erik@codefaktor.de>
To: <dev@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: merging httpd-pop3 into httpd-2.0?

> Harrie Hazewinkel wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 10:22 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> >
> >> --On Saturday, January 25, 2003 9:43 PM +0100 Harrie Hazewinkel

> >> The case that can be made for folding it in is that there is no
> >> community currently around mod_pop3.  If people were to step up and be
> >> responsible for it outside of the main tree, then I don't think
> >> there'd be a desire to merge it in.
> >
> > I see it different. Currently their is no interest in it, so there is
> > no reason to fold it in. People are not interested in it and thus
> > it would just consuming extra bytes in an HTTPD distribution.
> >

> Perhaps there is not much interest because it is somewhat 'hidden'? IMHO
mod_pop3 would gain more visibility and therefore perhaps a better community
when folded into httpd. Imagine windoze users: they mostly rely on binary
distributions and up to now there are just the sources around. If mod_pop3
gets used more widely, there probably will be also more developers who will
be attracted to contribute.

> Leaving it in it's own repo-module as it is now, without any person in
charge of it, will let it die on the long run.

> Personally I'm +/-0 towards folding it into httpd, since I won't have the
time to contribute...just my 2c.