httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: SSL segfault on HEAD
Date Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:54:38 GMT
Jeff Trawick <trawick@attglobal.net> writes:

> Cliff Woolley <jwoolley@virginia.edu> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Scott Lamb wrote:
> >
> > > HEAD (as of sometime yesterday) is segfaulting on me. Stack trace below.
> > > This happens on all SSL requests; others seem fine. This on Linux with
> > > RedHat's openssl-0.9.6b-28.
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the ssl changes on the
> > > 14th. They touched ssl_engine_io.c, though there's no immediate culprit
> > > to my (uneducated) eye.
> > >
> > > The particular revs I've got:
> > >
> > >      ssl_engine_io.c      1.102
> > >      apr_buckets_simple.c 1.41
> > >      apr_buckets_alloc.c  1.8
> >
> > Sigh.  Wonder if this is related to what FirstBill saw earlier today with
> > the proxy?  Seeing as nothing has changed in the buckets code any time
> > recently... OHHHHHHHH WAIT, yes it has.  Brian apparently committed a
> > change to allocate the apr_bucket_brigade itself out of the brigade
> > allocator.  I'm not yet convinced whether that's valid or not, but
> > regardless, that change (either a bug in it or a flaw elsewhere that it
> > triggered) is almost certain to be what's triggered these segfaults.
>
> I'm seeing a couple of different segfaults in regression tests on AIX
> running stable head and APR HEAD and apr-util HEAD for at least the
> last few days:
>
>   gcc build, simple proxy test segfaults
>   xlc build, incomplete POST requests, maybe others (too many cores to
>     keep track of)
>
> Sometime today I'll try to back up to a prior level of apr-util and
> see if the problem still occurs.  Just looking at CHANGES in stable,
> probably nothing has changed in Apache since the point at which it was
> working fine.

FYI...  I moved apr_brigade.c back a revision and the weird segfaults
on AIX went away, though there is another regression test that is
failing unexpectedly now :)

I see that there is an ongoing discussion on the brigade change and
possible patch that is required that I haven't studied, so I don't
know what my results mean yet.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...