httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: CGI hosed in v2.0.43
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2002 04:56:43 GMT
On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Graham Leggett wrote:

> The script gets as far as running cvs, which does part of what it needs
> to do, and then hangs solid. No errors of any kind are logged in the
> error log. The request eventually times out completely.

We talked about this problem at length at the hackathon.  There's a
deadlock condition in 2.0's CGI handling (among others) that happens when
various stdio buffers fill up at the wrong time.  If the stderr buffer
fills up while Apache is trying to read from stdout, for example.  Greg
Stein could explain it better than I can.

Bottom line: I don't know that there's much we can do about this right
now, but it is a known problem.  If you're careful to read from stdin
frequently and write to stdout/stderr in reasonably small chunks in your
CGI, I *think* you can work around it.

--Cliff