httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: SSL segfault on HEAD
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:46:47 GMT
On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> > HEAD (as of sometime yesterday) is segfaulting on me. Stack trace below.
> > This happens on all SSL requests; others seem fine. This on Linux with
> > RedHat's openssl-0.9.6b-28.
>
> Sigh.  Wonder if this is related to what FirstBill saw earlier today with
> the proxy?  Seeing as nothing has changed in the buckets code any time
> recently... OHHHHHHHH WAIT, yes it has.  Brian apparently committed a
> change to allocate the apr_bucket_brigade itself out of the brigade
> allocator.  I'm not yet convinced whether that's valid or not, but
> regardless, that change (either a bug in it or a flaw elsewhere that it
> triggered) is almost certain to be what's triggered these segfaults.

I'm not sure yet, but it's quite likely that what's happening is that the
modules that are now broken are destroying a brigade and then reusing it
anyway.  Those modules should be using apr_brigade_cleanup() rather than
apr_brigade_destroy().  [This would have been considered a bug in those
modules all along, but it wouldn't necessarily have caused a segfault
before, whereas it definitely would now.]

I don't see any particular problems in Brian's patch itself.  Though
having b->p be potentially NULL worries me... I can't find anything that
that would break yet, but I'll keep my eyes open.

--Cliff