httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: References to Documentation?
Date Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:31:35 GMT
On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Chad N. Tindel wrote:

> I'd like to write a module that provides alternative logging options, in
> addition to the current logging options.

You mean logging to databases and that sort of thing?  Okay...

But a handler really isn't what you want.  A handler's job is just to take
a request and generate the response from it (or at least begin the
response generation process).  The default handler, for example, just
takes the file corresponding to the request, opens it, and passes the open
file descriptor along.

I suggest studying mod_log_config in detail and understanding how it does
its thing.  Because it really sounds like you just want to write another
logging module... so yours will be a lot like mod_log_config; the output
will just go to something other htan a file.  And assuming you mean Apache
2.0 here, you can even get away with letting mod_log_config do most of the
work and just use the optional functions ap_log_set_writer_init and
ap_log_set_writer exported by that module to have it store the logs to
something other than a file.  Lots of possibilities there.

--Cliff