httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Montero <>
Subject Re: mod_imagick...anyone?
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 20:26:21 GMT
Completely understand.  Of course, the fun part IS the development!  :)
Perhaps I should defer to the list or anyone else that wants to chime in?

I suspect most users of any such module would prefer to put a cache in
front of it....this just makes the most sense to me.

Anyone else care to input?

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Michael Montero wrote:
> > My main concern would be with how expensive ImageMagick calls can be and
> > the need to call both mogrify and convert (in my experience) to get a
> > single thing done to an image.  I would much rather read an image into
> > memory and then perform a host of functions to it rather then read, write,
> > read, write, etc.
> Fair enough, though...
> > Of course, this is all less interesting if there is a proxy caching the
> > images.  In which case, the performance hit is to generate the initial
> > image only.
> This was the point I was trying to make, yes.  No matter which path you
> chose, you're likely to want mod_cache anyway if there's any amount of
> redundancy in the images you're computing (which, for the kind of site you
> described, I can only imagine that there WOULD be)... and if you're using
> mod_cache, then you might be able to justify that extra bit of initial
> overhead more easily.
> It's definitely the case that a native module will perform better, and
> should be the preferred option if it will have to run frequently (eg, if
> the parameters passed change frequently enough that mod_cache would be
> ineffective).  Although I'd still be interested to consider the mod_perl
> module option that was just mentioned in that case.
> I'm just trying to save you a little development time.  :)
> --Cliff

Michael C. Montero
Chief Technology Officer
Community Connect Inc. Co-founder

The Premier Source of Interactive Online Communities    149 Fifth Avenue                     New York, NY 10010
        Click into Asian America                The World Is Yours
	The Power of Latinos                    In partnership with The New
						York Times

-----  Your Message May Appear Below This Line

View raw message