httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "amit athavale" <amit_athav...@lycos.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: Windows NT]
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 06:20:17 GMT
On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 18:16:01
 Sander Striker wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> on http://httpd.apache.org/ one can read:
>>    The Apache HTTP Server Project is an effort to develop and maintain an
>>    open-source HTTP server for modern operating systems including UNIX and
>>    Windows NT.
>>
>> Well, since the name Windows NT is not used for Windows products since 2000,
>> your product might look very outdated, if you tell the people that Windows NT
>> is a modern operating system and that your webserver is targetted to Windows
>> NT. I think, saying "Windows" or something similar might be better than
>> saying "Windows NT".
>
>Since Windows 2000 == Windows NT 5.0 I don't think it is really
>a big problem.  We could probably rephrase to 'targetted for
>windows nt, 2000 and beyond'.
>
>Sander

I think Win2k is based upon WinNT only. WinNT is not just an OS but its a family of OS which
includes Win2k. (Similar to Unix which includes whole lot of OSs).

Also http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.html this makes more clear :

"Windows NT: This means all versions of Windows that are based on the Windows NT kernel. Includes
Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows .Net Server 2003. "

Thanks
Amit