httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject RE: mod_cache CacheMaxStreamingBuffer
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:27:41 GMT
> I confirm the CacheMaxStreamingBuffer is a source of misconfiguration
> Using the MCacheMaxObjectSize could me a good thing.
> In case of CacheMaxStreamingBuffer used, i don't know how
> MCacheMaxObjectSize is used for because if a document is bigger than
> MaxStreamingBuffer, it will be never cached.
> are you sure MaxStreamingBuffer is not used in disk_cache ?
> this directive is to store all the brigade before saving the entire data
> with the write_headers and write_body functions, pointing on disk or mem
> writing functions.
> I think it's the same for disk and mem cache.

I need to look at the old code, but if i recall correctly, mod_mem_cache would
reject attempting to cache an object whose length was unknown (see the call to
cache_create_entity() in mod_cache). mod_disk_cache otoh would happily attempt
to cache objects whose size was not know at the start. Remember that
mod_disk_cache is just writing cache objects to disk and does not need to
allocate memory to hold/prefetch the object.

> In the same time, could you answer my old mail with the
> CacheSlashEndingUrl patch i made is usefull or not ?

Yea, I was just looking at that. I think we can eliminate that check. I was
originally afraid that this would muck up negotiation but the cache does not
work with negotiated content now anyway.

Bill