httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject mod_cache CacheMaxStreamingBuffer
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:53:07 GMT
The CacheMaxStreamingBuffer function is currently implemented in mod_cache. It
carves out a chunk of RAM to buffer responses, regardless of the actual storage
manager (mod_mem_cache or mod_disk_cache) that will ultimately be used cache the
response. The function is not really useful if you are using mod_disk_cache.

IMHO, the streaming buffer function belongs in the storage manager
(mod_mem_cache) rather than mod_cache.  I propose we move this function into
mod_mem_cache.  I also question the need for the CacheMaxStreamingBuffer
configuration directive. Why not use MCacheMaxObjectSize as the max streaming
buffer size?  This would eliminate a source of misconfiguration, and
specifically the case of neglecting to include CacheMaxStreamingBuffer in
httpd.conf (I spent maybe 30 minutes trying to figure out why some responses
were not being cached that I knew darn well were within my configured cache size
thresholds. Most Apache users would not have a clue where to start looking for
the cause, nor should they be expected to have a clue).

I'll start working on this if I hear no objections.

Bill