httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bennett, Tony - CNF" <>
Subject RE: [Auth_ldap] util_ldap_cache & shared memory failure
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:40:46 GMT
I just discovered that this is an already reported bug:
Is anyone working on this????

-----Original Message-----
From: Bennett, Tony - CNF []
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 2:44 PM
To: ''
Subject: [Auth_ldap] util_ldap_cache & shared memory failure

Sorry for the cross post, but I'm not sure which group
is appropriate.

I am getting the following message in my apache error log

        [Wed Dec 18 11:23:18 2002] [debug] util_ldap_cache.c(307): (17)Do
not specify an existing file.

I believe I have tracked this down to a problem with util_ldap_cache.c.

util_ldap.c has registered its util_ldap_init_module() function to be called

during "child_init" as follows:

        ap_hook_child_init(util_ldap_init_module, NULL, NULL,

util_ldap_init_module() in turn calls util_ldap_cache_init() (contained in

util_ldap_cache_init() tries to create a shared memory segment by calling
as follows:
         result = apr_shm_create(&util_ldap_shm, reqsize, "/tmp/ldap_cache",

This call fails for all but the first time it is called... with the message
shown at the top.
The failure causes util_ldap_cache_init() to return immediately... and not
complete the function.
The failure is because apr_shm_create() expects the file, "/tmp/ldap_cache",
to be non-existent...
...and it will create it... if it exists, then the function fails.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe the shared memory should be "created"
for each child.

Using mod_auth_digest, and mod_ssl as a model... it appears it should be
created in a
ap_hook_post_config() hook.

Does this seem correct???

Here's my Environment:
        Version:        Apache 2.0.42
        OS:             AIX 4.3.3
        Compiler:       IBM C for AIX version 6.0

View raw message